Officials warn of avoiding fires using indoor AC units - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Officials warn of avoiding fires using indoor AC units

(Source: Mitch Randles, Temple Fire & Rescue) (Source: Mitch Randles, Temple Fire & Rescue)
(Source: Mitch Randles, Temple Fire & Rescue) (Source: Mitch Randles, Temple Fire & Rescue)
TEMPLE, TX (KXXV) -

With hot summer temperatures, people are doing everything they can to stay cool. That includes using indoor AC units.

Temple Fire and Rescue officials are warning people about the dangers of using the window air conditioning units. Thomas Pechal, spokesman for Temple Fire and Rescue, said it's important to plug the units directly into a wall outlet.

"Any appliance that they're using has a certain energy demand in order to power in order to operate and an extension cord many times is not designed to safely supply that amount of energy that appliance needs," Pechal said.

By using a power strip or extension cord, it could overload the device and start a fire.

"An extension cord is a temporary device. It is not intended as permanent wiring," Pechal said. "If they take a window unit and plug it in to a 6-tap outlet. This may be the end result: we have both of the prongs that are still melted inside the 6-tap outlet."

Pechal added it's important to read and follow the instructions on any appliance you have. 

"If you do that, you'll greatly reduce your risk of fire," Pechal said.

Copyright 2017 KXXV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly