Standoff ends in shootout, suspect charged with aggravated assau - KXXV Central Texas News Now

Standoff ends in shootout, suspect charged with aggravated assault

(Source: KXXV) (Source: KXXV)

A standoff involving a man who had barricaded himself inside a home after shooting at Temple police officers ended Sunday morning after a shootout with the SWAT team, police said.

The man, 36-year-old Jerry Berry, was charged with burglary of habitation with intent to commit assault and felon in possession of a firearm. Berry is from Temple.

Investigator's presented a case to the Bell County DA's Office. Investigators received three complainants charging Jerry Berry with aggravated assault against public servant. Justice of the Peace David Barfield issued three separate warrants with a bond set at $250,000 each.

Temple Police Department spokesperson Shawana Neely said this all started about 9:30 p.m. Saturday when officers responded to a shots-fired call at an address in the 600 block of South 7th Street.

When officers arrived, they realized that address did not exist. They drove around looking for anyone suspicious, she said, and a witness pointed them to a man who supposedly fired the shots.

When officers attempted to stop Berry, he took off running, turned around, and started shooting at the officers, Neely said.

The officers returned fire. They were not hit, Neely said.

Berry then kicked in the door of a home in the 700 block of South 15th Street and barricaded himself inside, she said. The homeowner managed to escape through a window and was unharmed.

The SWAT team surrounded the area, and negotiators attempted to make contact with Berry.

After several hours and failed attempts to make contact, the SWAT team went inside the home and found him in the attic, Neely said.

Gunfire was exchanged, and Berry suffered a gunshot wound, she said.

He was taken to the hospital. He is currently being treated for gunshot wounds he received during the incident.

No one else was hurt.

The Texas Rangers are investigating the case. Five officers are on administrative leave after the incident.

Copyright 2017 KXXV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly