Lampasas Police Department hosts women's self defense class - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Lampasas Police Department hosts women's self defense class

LAMPASAS, TX (KXXV) -

The Lampasas Police Department hosted a women self defense class Saturday.

Women ages nine to 90 were invited to hear and learn lessons to hopefully help keep themselves out of dangerous situations, but also how to defend themselves if that were to ever occur.

Lampasas Police Chief Sammy Bailey said the class was sparked by interest from women in the community who thought it would be beneficial.

After Saturday's event, some women are hopeful to have the Rape, Aggression, Defense instructor back to Lampasas for a full 12-hour course one day.

"My husband is deploying at the end of the year, so it's just me and my two kids by myself, and I had a really bad scare a few months ago that made me realize, you know, if I'm by myself what would I do?" Shelby Pinnegar, a class participant, said. "I felt like this class would help me build confidence and get those skills and tools in my toolbox that I really needed that I didn't have."

Pinnegar added it was a relief to hear Lampasas Police Chief Bailey tell the class to call 9-1-1 whenever they feel something might be off. Chief Bailey said the police department would rather come check it out and have everything be fine rather than never being called.

Amazon raising price of annual Prime membership to $119

Thursday, April 26 2018 5:59 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:59:01 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:11 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:11:54 GMT
    Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)

Amazon says it will hike up the price of its Prime membership fee by 20 percent next month.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:10 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:10:57 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."

Suspect in serial killings was obsessed with lawn care

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:09 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:09:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.