Marlin mayoral candidate opens up about past arrests - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Marlin mayoral candidate opens up about past arrests

(SOURCE:KXXV) (SOURCE:KXXV)
MARLIN, TX (KXXV) -

Local elections are less than a month away and one candidate is coming forward about his past arrests.

Demetrius Beachum, is running for mayor of Marlin.

Between 1998 and 2013  police arrested Beachum for offenses including unpaid traffic tickets and fraud by check. A past he said, he's not hiding,

"Before I signed up for the mayor I knew I had some tickets before I knew I went to jail before that didn't deter me even my church knows that," said Beachum.

Beachum believes his past doesn't exclude him from the race for mayor or holding the position. When asked if he would run for someone with his record he didn't hesitate answering yes.

"If a person who is running for office who has had a ticket, who has had a check that bounced or mismanaged funds and was running for office and that person had taken care of that responsibility sure I'd vote for them."

Beachum said he is open about his past. He said he spoke briefly about his run-ins at a mayoral forum held earlier in April and speaks candidly about it at his church. He said he hopes that by telling the truth about his past it will inspire other people.

"I can relate to every person in Marlin who has had a ticket and so I believe that it's important that the community can see someone that's in a public office that can relate to them and build that and say you're alright and you can make it. You can pay this ticket off just like I paid mine."

News Channel 25 asked several voters in Marlin whether they felt it was appropriate for someone with Beachum's past to run for mayor. Whether supporting Beachum or not many people felt that his past is irrelevant. Resident Broedwick Moore felt that any person could move on from their past.

"I think that everyone has a past. You should judge candidates by their qualifications. If the past is something that going to disqualify you then I mean you should know this coming into the election," Moore said.

Many of the voters in Marlin said they are more focused on the city's future and how they will help the city. Cheffon Massey said, she wants the next leader to address many of the longstanding issues.

"I would like the mayor to work with the community and talk to the people who live in the community," Massey said.

Beachum understands that there are people who may be weary about voting for him or working with him because of his past. He invites those people to have a conversation with him.

“I’m asking the residents of Marlin know who I am. Get to know that I am a fighter, that’s what’s got me to this point.  I’m a fighter. The town's going down, they need a fighter.”

Laughter, tears as former first lady Barbara Bush remembered

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 10:18 AM EDT2018-04-22 14:18:03 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

4 dead in Nashville Waffle House shooting; suspect sought

Sunday, April 22 2018 8:34 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:34:45 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 10:25 AM EDT2018-04-22 14:25:16 GMT
    A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. (Source: CNN)A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. (Source: CNN)
    Police in Tennessee say three people were killed and four were injured in a shooting at a Waffle House restaurant early Sunday. (Source: CNN)Police in Tennessee say three people were killed and four were injured in a shooting at a Waffle House restaurant early Sunday. (Source: CNN)

Road to N. Korea's denuclearization is littered with failure

Saturday, April 21 2018 9:44 PM EDT2018-04-22 01:44:28 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 10:25 AM EDT2018-04-22 14:25:12 GMT
    (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, Pool, File). FILE - In this Feb. 9, 2018 file photo, Kim Yo Jong, left, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, shakes hands with South Korean President Moon Jae-in at the opening ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics in P...(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, Pool, File). FILE - In this Feb. 9, 2018 file photo, Kim Yo Jong, left, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, shakes hands with South Korean President Moon Jae-in at the opening ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics in P...

A look at previous nuclear negotiations with North Korea and how the currently planned talks between Seoul, Pyongyang and Washington took shape.