Shooting victim shares story of survival - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Shooting victim shares story of survival

Just weeks ago, a fight at an apartment complex turned in to a night one woman will never forget.

"I was shot three times -- twice in my spine and once in my side," April Saddler, victim of a shooting, said. "I thought I was gonna die."

Don Booker took his wife and kids over the Trentwood Apartments on the night the shooting happened. He said people started firing guns out of no where.

"I remember shots, and then a few more shots came through, and then a lot more shots came through," Booker said.

He said he drove his wife to the hospital after she got shot, but his wife has not been the same since that night.

"She can’t work, she can’t move like she needs [and] to her personality has changed a lot. I don't cry in front of her... but it has changed her a lot," Booker said.

Although Saddler admits her personality has changed, she said that the most difficult part is how much the shooting has impacted her body.

"It hurts. I can’t work, I can’t do anything for my kids," she said. "I’m usually working everyday, having 2-3 jobs. Everybody knows that I work," she added.

With Saddler unable to work – and Booker on disability – this shooting is even impacting their kids

"My kids weren’t able to go to school," Booker said that's because they did not have money for back to school supplies. "She didn’t have money, and I don’t get my check until the first [of the month] and the third [of the month]."

But the family said no matter what, they’re determined to make it through this tough time together

"My husband, my kids, we’re all we got," Saddler said. "I’m just happy to still be here."

An official with the Waco Police Department said Nathaniel James Hailey has been arrested for the shooting.

Copyright 2016 KXXV. All rights reserved.

4 dead in Waffle House shooting in Tennessee; suspect sought

Sunday, April 22 2018 8:34 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:34:45 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 6:16 PM EDT2018-04-22 22:16:12 GMT
    A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. (Source: CNN)A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. (Source: CNN)
    Police in Tennessee say three people were killed and four were injured in a shooting at a Waffle House restaurant early Sunday. (Source: CNN)Police in Tennessee say three people were killed and four were injured in a shooting at a Waffle House restaurant early Sunday. (Source: CNN)

Hillary Clinton, not on ballot, is star of GOP midterm plan

Sunday, April 22 2018 11:44 AM EDT2018-04-22 15:44:51 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 6:15 PM EDT2018-04-22 22:15:36 GMT
    (AP Photo/David Goldman, File). FILE - In this Sept. 26, 2016, file photo, then-Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and then-Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton are introduced during the presidential debate at Hofstra University in...(AP Photo/David Goldman, File). FILE - In this Sept. 26, 2016, file photo, then-Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and then-Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton are introduced during the presidential debate at Hofstra University in...

She's not on ballot, but Hillary Clinton starring in GOP 2018 midterm strategy.

She's not on ballot, but Hillary Clinton starring in GOP 2018 midterm strategy.

White House: No plans by Trump to fire Mueller, Rosenstein

Sunday, April 22 2018 2:05 PM EDT2018-04-22 18:05:12 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 6:06 PM EDT2018-04-22 22:06:48 GMT
    (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File). FILE - In this Nov. 20, 2016, file photo, then-President-elect Donald Trump, right, and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani pose for photographs as Giuliani arrives at the Trump National Golf Club Bedminster clubhouse i...(AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File). FILE - In this Nov. 20, 2016, file photo, then-President-elect Donald Trump, right, and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani pose for photographs as Giuliani arrives at the Trump National Golf Club Bedminster clubhouse i...

The White House says President Donald Trump has no intention of firing special counsel Robert Mueller and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.