Shooting victim shares story of survival - KXXV Central Texas News Now

Shooting victim shares story of survival

Just weeks ago, a fight at an apartment complex turned in to a night one woman will never forget.

"I was shot three times -- twice in my spine and once in my side," April Saddler, victim of a shooting, said. "I thought I was gonna die."

Don Booker took his wife and kids over the Trentwood Apartments on the night the shooting happened. He said people started firing guns out of no where.

"I remember shots, and then a few more shots came through, and then a lot more shots came through," Booker said.

He said he drove his wife to the hospital after she got shot, but his wife has not been the same since that night.

"She can’t work, she can’t move like she needs [and] to her personality has changed a lot. I don't cry in front of her... but it has changed her a lot," Booker said.

Although Saddler admits her personality has changed, she said that the most difficult part is how much the shooting has impacted her body.

"It hurts. I can’t work, I can’t do anything for my kids," she said. "I’m usually working everyday, having 2-3 jobs. Everybody knows that I work," she added.

With Saddler unable to work – and Booker on disability – this shooting is even impacting their kids

"My kids weren’t able to go to school," Booker said that's because they did not have money for back to school supplies. "She didn’t have money, and I don’t get my check until the first [of the month] and the third [of the month]."

But the family said no matter what, they’re determined to make it through this tough time together

"My husband, my kids, we’re all we got," Saddler said. "I’m just happy to still be here."

An official with the Waco Police Department said Nathaniel James Hailey has been arrested for the shooting.

Copyright 2016 KXXV. All rights reserved.

DHS secretary: FEMA chief misused cars, but won't lose job

Saturday, September 22 2018 2:20 AM EDT2018-09-22 06:20:42 GMT
    Saturday, September 22 2018 5:11 AM EDT2018-09-22 09:11:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump shakes hands with FEMA Administrator Brock Long as Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen watches after visiting areas in North Carolina and South Carolina impacted by Hurricane Florence, Wednesday, S...(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump shakes hands with FEMA Administrator Brock Long as Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen watches after visiting areas in North Carolina and South Carolina impacted by Hurricane Florence, Wednesday, S...

The head of the federal disaster response agency used government vehicles without proper authorization, but will not lose his job over it, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said Friday.

Committee gives Kavanaugh accuser more time

Saturday, September 22 2018 1:51 AM EDT2018-09-22 05:51:44 GMT
    Saturday, September 22 2018 5:11 AM EDT2018-09-22 09:11:01 GMT
    (Jim Bourg/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this Sept. 4, 2018, file photo Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh is surrounded by photographers as he stands with Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley R-Iowa, during his confirmatio...(Jim Bourg/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this Sept. 4, 2018, file photo Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh is surrounded by photographers as he stands with Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley R-Iowa, during his confirmatio...

The high-stakes brinkmanship over whether Brett Kavanaugh's accuser would testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee came to a momentary standstill as GOP Chairman Chuck Grassley gave Christine Blasey Ford more time to decide on the terms of her appearance.

Investigation finds Maryland culpable in death of player

Friday, September 21 2018 6:01 PM EDT2018-09-21 22:01:02 GMT
    Saturday, September 22 2018 3:53 AM EDT2018-09-22 07:53:11 GMT
    Maryland's athletic director acknowledged that "mistakes were made" by the training staff in the treatment of McNair. (Source: AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)Maryland's athletic director acknowledged that "mistakes were made" by the training staff in the treatment of McNair. (Source: AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

An independent investigation into the death of University of Maryland football player Jordan McNair has determined that trainers on the scene did not follow proper procedures after he collapsed on the field.