Armed shoplifting suspect shot by police at H-E-B has died - KXXV Central Texas News Now


Armed shoplifting suspect shot by police at H-E-B has died


A suspected shoplifter at a North Waco grocery store died late Tuesday night. Randall Lance Hughes, 48, from Waco was shot by police after officers say he threatened them with a knife. 

Waco Police responded to the H.E.B located at the 3801 North 19th Street after 3:20 p.m. for a shoplifting incident. Hughes is accused of stealing $80 worth of brisket.

Waco Police spokesman Sgt. Patrick Swanton said when two Waco Police officers arrived, Hughes was detained in a small security room located in the back of the store. As officers tried to arrest him, he became combative. During the fight, the suspect pulled out a folding lock blade knife and threatened officers.

"The officers reacted out of fear for their lives and their partner's life and had to use their weapons," Sgt. Swanton, said.

He said at that point, the female officer activated a stun gun, which did not work on Hughes. Soon after the male officer fired at least two rounds at the suspect, according to Waco Police. 

"This is a critical incident anytime an officer is involved in an incident like this. It’s not something you come to work expecting or you want to do. But part of our duty is to protect our citizens in Waco and that’s what occurred here today," said Swanton. 

Hughes was shot at least twice in the upper torso. Additional officers who responded to the scene after the shooting was reported at 3:40 p.m. attempted to provide emergency medical treatment to suspect until ETMC arrived. He was rushed into surgery at Baylor Scott & White at Hillcrest Medical Center.

Both of the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave. Waco Police will conduct criminal and internal investigations surrounding this case.

H.E.B evacuated their employees and customers on Tuesday after the incident occurred.  No one else besides the suspect was injured during the shooting. The grocery store was closed and reopened on Wednesday at 6 a.m.

Hughes was no stranger to law enforcement.

He was arrested three years ago when he was an employee at Home Depot on West Waco Dr. Police said he helped people steal from that store on at least two separate occasions in 2012.

According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, he served 18 months for theft. He was released from prison in Jan. of 2015.

Powered by Frankly