Social Security may be holding kidney transplant for local donor - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

FORT HOOD

Social Security may be holding kidney transplant for local donor

FORT HOOD, TX (KXXV) - A Fort Hood soldier is waiting to donate her kidney but her uncle says Social Security is causing them to wait on the procedure.

Bobbie Lee Hubbard is a Fort Hood soldier who is ready and willing to donate her kidney to her uncle David Hubbard who lives in Florida. However, they've been waiting for half a year now. David Hubbard says he's been trying to apply for Social Security and Medicare to cover the costs of his treatment and the procedure, but he says they're not fitting the bill yet. Even though he says he's filed all the required paperwork.

"Meanwhile I'm pretty much dying and they're telling me oh it's coming, it's coming. well when?" David Hubbard said.

"My family means everything to me I love my family, I love my uncle I just want to make sure that I can give him another chance at life," Bobbie Lee Hubbard said.

David Hubbard has renal failure. This would actually be his second kidney transplant because his brother donated his kidney 18 years ago. However, that has since failed so needs a new one. So when Bobbie Lee heard about her uncle's situation, she didn't hesitate.

"The first thing I said to him was what can I do?" Bobbie Lee said.

"It's a life-giving gift I mean what can you, you can't say really anything about it because it's someone giving a part of their body so that you can continue to live," David said.

Hubbard said he needs Medicare to cover the costs of dialysis and the transplant, but when hospitals try to bill social security, it's not approved. This is even though he says he's filed all the necessary paperwork and Social Security keeps telling him he's good to go.

"They told me I have it you'll see it in 30 days but I've been told that since January. So do I believe them? I doubt it," Hubbard said.

Hubbard has contacted his local congressmen in Florida to help out. Medicare has also said they have appointed a case worker to resolve the situation.

Trump defends tax plan, proclaims economy set 'to rock'

Saturday, December 16 2017 3:16 AM EST2017-12-16 08:16:02 GMT
    Sunday, December 17 2017 6:19 AM EST2017-12-17 11:19:37 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady, R-Texas, is pursued by reporters in the Capitol after signing the conference committee report to advance the GOP tax bill, in Washington, Friday, Dec. 15, 2017.(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady, R-Texas, is pursued by reporters in the Capitol after signing the conference committee report to advance the GOP tax bill, in Washington, Friday, Dec. 15, 2017.

Republicans working to execute their first major legislative achievement of Donald Trump's presidency appear to have secured the votes to pass a massive tax overhaul that Trump hoped to present to Americans.

Republicans working to execute their first major legislative achievement of Donald Trump's presidency appear to have secured the votes to pass a massive tax overhaul that Trump hoped to present to the American people for Christmas.

A CDC ban on 'fetus' and 'transgender?' Experts alarmed

Saturday, December 16 2017 7:49 PM EST2017-12-17 00:49:07 GMT
    Sunday, December 17 2017 6:10 AM EST2017-12-17 11:10:58 GMT

Health leaders say they are alarmed about reports that officials at the nation's top public health agency are being told not to use certain words in official budget documents, including "fetus," and "transgender.".

After Alabama, abortion may be backseat issue in 2018 races

Saturday, December 16 2017 12:06 PM EST2017-12-16 17:06:09 GMT
    Sunday, December 17 2017 6:10 AM EST2017-12-17 11:10:21 GMT

Both Democratic and Republican operatives say abortion may take a backseat to other issues in 2018 now that conservative Alabama has elected a Democrat who supports abortion rights.