Social Security may be holding kidney transplant for local donor - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

FORT HOOD

Social Security may be holding kidney transplant for local donor

FORT HOOD, TX (KXXV) - A Fort Hood soldier is waiting to donate her kidney but her uncle says Social Security is causing them to wait on the procedure.

Bobbie Lee Hubbard is a Fort Hood soldier who is ready and willing to donate her kidney to her uncle David Hubbard who lives in Florida. However, they've been waiting for half a year now. David Hubbard says he's been trying to apply for Social Security and Medicare to cover the costs of his treatment and the procedure, but he says they're not fitting the bill yet. Even though he says he's filed all the required paperwork.

"Meanwhile I'm pretty much dying and they're telling me oh it's coming, it's coming. well when?" David Hubbard said.

"My family means everything to me I love my family, I love my uncle I just want to make sure that I can give him another chance at life," Bobbie Lee Hubbard said.

David Hubbard has renal failure. This would actually be his second kidney transplant because his brother donated his kidney 18 years ago. However, that has since failed so needs a new one. So when Bobbie Lee heard about her uncle's situation, she didn't hesitate.

"The first thing I said to him was what can I do?" Bobbie Lee said.

"It's a life-giving gift I mean what can you, you can't say really anything about it because it's someone giving a part of their body so that you can continue to live," David said.

Hubbard said he needs Medicare to cover the costs of dialysis and the transplant, but when hospitals try to bill social security, it's not approved. This is even though he says he's filed all the necessary paperwork and Social Security keeps telling him he's good to go.

"They told me I have it you'll see it in 30 days but I've been told that since January. So do I believe them? I doubt it," Hubbard said.

Hubbard has contacted his local congressmen in Florida to help out. Medicare has also said they have appointed a case worker to resolve the situation.

Giuliani advises no Mueller interview without informant info

Sunday, May 27 2018 11:05 AM EDT2018-05-27 15:05:32 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 10:55 PM EDT2018-05-28 02:55:49 GMT
    President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani says the president wants details on the classified information shared with lawmakers about the FBI investigation into Russian election meddling before deciding on an interview (Source:CNN)President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani says the president wants details on the classified information shared with lawmakers about the FBI investigation into Russian election meddling before deciding on an interview (Source:CNN)

President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani says the president wants details on the classified information shared with lawmakers about the FBI investigation into Russian election meddling before deciding on an interview with the special counsel.

Budget battle brews as Trump threatens another shutdown

Sunday, May 27 2018 8:04 AM EDT2018-05-27 12:04:06 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 10:55 PM EDT2018-05-28 02:55:46 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - In this March 30, 2017, file photo, the Capitol Dome is seen at dawn in Washington. The Senate has kicked off its annual attempt to pass government funding bills. Success is hardly assured, but President Don...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - In this March 30, 2017, file photo, the Capitol Dome is seen at dawn in Washington. The Senate has kicked off its annual attempt to pass government funding bills. Success is hardly assured, but President Don...

President Donald Trump has warned Congress that he'll never sign another trillion dollar plus government-wide spending bill like the one he did in March.

Soldiers recall carnage of Alaska WWII battle 75 years later

Sunday, May 27 2018 11:34 AM EDT2018-05-27 15:34:09 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 10:54 PM EDT2018-05-28 02:54:28 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mark Thiessen). In this May 19, 2018, photo World War II veterans Allan Seroll, left, of Massachusetts, and William Roy Dover, right, of Alabama, right, attend a 75th anniversary celebration of the Battle of Attu in Anchorage, Alaska. Dover w...(AP Photo/Mark Thiessen). In this May 19, 2018, photo World War II veterans Allan Seroll, left, of Massachusetts, and William Roy Dover, right, of Alabama, right, attend a 75th anniversary celebration of the Battle of Attu in Anchorage, Alaska. Dover w...

One of the bloodiest World War II battles in the Pacific was waged 75 years ago this month on Attu Island in Alaska's Aleutian Islands.