8 displaced by morning fire in Temple, caused by child who found - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

TEMPLE

8 displaced by morning fire in Temple, caused by child who found lighter

Posted:
Photo Courtesy: Temple Fire and Rescue Photo Courtesy: Temple Fire and Rescue
TEMPLE - Eight people have been displaced by a Tuesday morning fire in Temple that was started by a child who found a cigarette lighter.

The fire was reported a little after 10 a.m., in the 3700 block of Kimi Ln. First units saw heavy smoke coming from the back of the home. The home is considered a total loss as the living room received heavy fire damage.

The investigation into the fire determined the fire was unintentional. The blaze was started by an unsupervised pre-school child, who found a cigarette lighter and lit some items on fire in the living room. The child then told an adult about the fire, but they were unable to extinguish the flames. The home did have a working smoke alarm.

Fire crews report the fire was under control about 10:40 a.m. Five adults and three children were displaced after the fire. One adult was transported to Scott & White Hospital for medical related reasons. Two other adults and the three children were taken for evaluation. The American Red Cross is working to help the family.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, www.usfa.fema.gov, matches, lighters, and other heat sources are the leading causes of fire deaths for children.

Temple Fire & Rescue, Temple Police and Scott & White EMS responded to the house fire.
Powered by WorldNow

News Channel 25 KXXV-TV
P.O. Box 2522
Waco, TX 76702

Phone Numbers:
Main: 254-754-2525
Tip Line: 254-757-2525

Links
Contact Us
KXXV Employment Opportunites
FCC Filings
Advertise on KXXV

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KXXV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.