BEVERLY HILLS, TX (KXXV) -
A Beverly Hills home was destroyed and a couple lost a beloved four-legged family member after flames raced through their home early Thursday afternoon.
The fire call came in at 12:52 p.m. and firefighters were on the scene in less than three minutes. Barbara Abraham had come home from lunch in the 3900 block of Beverly and heard a loud pop that sounded like it came from outside.
"I saw smoke coming out of the garage bedroom and I opened up the door and burned myself a little bit on that," said Barbara Abraham. "The smoke just came out so quick."
Firefighters fought the flames from the front of the house, but also cut a hole in the roof on the back side to pour water on the attic.
Mike Abraham raced home from work knowing his son wasn't home, but worried whether his dog was in her favorite hiding place.
"I was trying to make it home in time to get my little dog. They told me I couldn't go over to the bedroom because they were still fighting the fire at that time," he said.
While crews battled the flames, the Abrahams waited - and worried. After about twenty minutes, firefighters called Mike to the backyard, where they were trying to revive the chihuahua. But their efforts were too late, the pet likely dying of smoke inhalation.
"She didn't make it, she didn't make it," Barbara Abraham sadly said. "We had her for 12 years, she didn't make it. We could replace everything in there except for her. She's not replaceable."
The Abrahams say they have no idea how the fire started because surge protectors were on everything electrical. The house was a total loss.