Cove Resident Loses Over $150,000 In Telephone Sweepstakes Scam - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

COPPERAS COVE

Cove Resident Loses Over $150,000 In Telephone Sweepstakes Scam

COPPERAS COVE, TX (KXXV) -

A Copperas Cove resident has fallen victim to a telephone sweepstakes scam that's ended up costing her over $150,000.

According to the resident, each week over the course of this past year, she had been sending between $300 and $400 to multiple individuals who claimed she had won multiple sweepstakes worth up $2.5 million in prize money. When she never received any winnings in return, she said she then turned to police.

Last week the victim contacted the Copperas Cove Police Department and explained how scammers based out of Canada, Russia, Florida and Jamaica had each been calling her promising a multi-million dollar pay out. She said she would load money onto a prepaid credit card so that they could then access the money via the card.

They claimed once they received the amount of money they needed, they would then send the winnings back to the victim.

She said that she's tried to contact the individuals responsible for the scam, but now all the phone numbers used to make the scam calls are no longer active.

The resident said that she now knows this type of scam specifically targets older individuals from all over the country, and according to police, there's almost no possibility of her regaining any of the money she sent.

Due to the ongoing nature of the case, the Copperas Cove Police Department said they were unable to give any specific details related to the scam, but they did say that it is an active investigation.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Police: 2 shot at Oklahoma restaurant; civilian kills gunman

    Police: 2 shot at Oklahoma restaurant; civilian kills gunman

    Friday, May 25 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:02:34 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 7:13 AM EDT2018-05-25 11:13:11 GMT
    (Bryan Terry/The Oklahoman via AP). Jennifer Stong hugs Tasha Hunt outside the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. Stong was inside the restaurant when the shooting occurred.(Bryan Terry/The Oklahoman via AP). Jennifer Stong hugs Tasha Hunt outside the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. Stong was inside the restaurant when the shooting occurred.

    Police: Man armed with pistol shot and wounded two customers at Oklahoma City restaurant before being shot dead by handgun-carrying civilian in parking lot.

    More >>

    Police: Man armed with pistol shot and wounded two customers at Oklahoma City restaurant before being shot dead by handgun-carrying civilian in parking lot.

    More >>
  • Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

    Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

    Friday, May 25 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:22:30 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 7:07 AM EDT2018-05-25 11:07:18 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...

    Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

    More >>

    Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

    More >>
  • Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

    Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

    Thursday, May 24 2018 4:42 PM EDT2018-05-24 20:42:21 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 7:06 AM EDT2018-05-25 11:06:54 GMT
    Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

    A Southern California jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay more than $25 million to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that she developed cancer by using the company's talc-based baby powder.

    More >>

    A Southern California jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay more than $25 million to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that she developed cancer by using the company's talc-based baby powder.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly