Ft. Hood bomb squad at Copperas Cove home for 2nd night in a row - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |


Fort Hood bomb squad at Copperas Cove home for second night in a row

Jason Alan Garthwaite Sr. Jason Alan Garthwaite Sr.
Criminal Complaint against Jason Garthwaite Sr. Criminal Complaint against Jason Garthwaite Sr.
Criminal Complaint against Jason Garthwaite Sr. Criminal Complaint against Jason Garthwaite Sr.
Criminal Complaint against Jason Garthwaite Sr. Criminal Complaint against Jason Garthwaite Sr.

The man arrested in connection with two bomb scares at a home in Copperas Cove, is set to make an appearance in Federal Court in Waco Thursday afternoon.

Jason Alan Garthwaite Sr. was arrested and charged with abandoning or endangering a child and prohibited weapon in connection with the incident. Fort Hood has confirmed that he is a Fort Hood soldier from Milford, Delaware.

Garthwaite was later arraigned by Judge Price on the 2 felony charges and his bond has been set at $150,000. He is being held at the Coryell County Jail.

Garthwaite is set to be in Federal Court in Waco at 2 p.m. on Thursday, for an ATF charge. According to ATF spokesperson Francesca Perot, Garthwaite is being charged with possession of an unregistered destructive device.

According to an affidavit, Garthwaite is accused of hiding materials used to make a pipe bomb at a home in Copperas Cove.

Copperas Cove Police responded to a call of suspicious items found in a home in the 400 block of S. 7th Tuesday evening and made an arrest on Wednesday. Police and the Fort Hood bomb squad were back at that home on Wednesday night, but the item they found turned out to be non-hazardous.

According to nearby residents, Copperas Cove Police arrived around 5 p.m. Tuesday evening.  They say Fort Hood bomb squad arrived at 8:30 p.m.

"Seeing the cops it was just like wow, because it's a safe neighborhood," said Shannon, a nearby resident.  "But then they didn't leave, and they didn't leave and then it was like, hmm, okay what's going on."

Many residents were evacuated from their homes and streets were blocked off from the corner of 5th and Meggs, to the Copperas Cove High School.

Shannon saw a robot making trips back and forth from the Fort Hood bomb squad vehicle and back to the end corner of the street. 

"The robot has come out a few times from Fort Hood bomb squad. It was pulled out of the vehicle between 8 and 8:30 and went down the street towards Seventh street, went around the corner house not sure where, but it's down there somewhere."

They believe the robot was disarming what could have been a live bomb, but officials have not confirmed that. All hazards were removed from the home at 2 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Residents were able to return to their homes soon after the location was deemed safe and secure.

Police and the Fort Hood bomb squad returned to the home Wednesday night in reference to an "object of concern." The Fort Hood bomb squad was brought out for precautionary reasons.

They found an object in the home, but it was non-hazardous. The location was found to be safe at 11 p.m. Wednesday night. 

The ATF and Copperas Cove Police Department are still investigating the incident.

Powered by WorldNow

News Channel 25 KXXV-TV
P.O. Box 2522
Waco, TX 76702

Phone Numbers:
Main: 254-754-2525
Tip Line: 254-757-2525

Contact Us
KXXV Employment Opportunites
FCC Filings
Advertise on KXXV

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KXXV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.