Witness Testimony Continues In Fort Hood Shooting Court Martial - KXXV Central Texas News Now


Witness Testimony Continues In Fort Hood Shooting Court Martial

Witnesses in the Fort Hood shooting massacre continued to share emotional testimonies recounting what happened that day as the first full week in the court martial case comes to a close.
Maj. Nidal Hasan's defense standby counsel also continued their efforts to distance themselves from this case.
Two of the members of Hasan's defense standby counsel asked Judge Colonel Tara Osborn if they could be absent from court proceedings today because they needed to file a last minute appeal to the Army criminal court of appeals.
This comes one day after judge Osborn denied their request to stop advising Hasan for good.
Judge Osborn ultimately allowed those members of Hasan's counsel to leave court, and then the prosecution began to call more witnesses to testify about what they had endured during the shooting, many of whom had been shot multiple times during the attack.
Witnesses also testified that when they first heard Hasan yell, "Allah Akbar," and shots were fired, they believed they were in a training exercise until they saw the gunman targeting soldiers and actually shooting them.
"There are consistencies," military law expert Richard Rosen said. "Everybody seemed to think this was a training exercise and the witnesses have been more or less consistent of where the shooter was and how he was shooting the people."
Some of the most profound testimony came from Army SSgt. Shawn Manning and Army Spc. Logan Burnett who each described being shot numerous times all over their bodies leaving them barely able to make it out of the S.R.P. medical processing building alive.
The prosecution did it's best to recreate the events exactly as they unfolded to try to prove that the shooting was pre-meditated, and that Hasan's intent was to kill as many people as he possibly could.
So far, 44 witnesses in total have testified in the case.

During testimony, Hasan did not cross examine any of the witnesses and he rarely objected.
His first objection dealt with the admission of a photo of the only civilian victim killed in the shooting, Michael Cahill, which was overruled.
His second objection came as one of the witnesses began to detail the various surgeries he had to undergo as a result of his gunshot wounds.
Hasan told the judge that "aggravation evidence has it's place," and then the objection was ultimately sustained.
The court martial is scheduled to resume on Monday.
Powered by Frankly