Waco man found guilty of arson sentenced to 65 years - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |


Waco man found guilty of arson sentenced to 65 years


28-year-old William Charles Webb of Waco was found guilty of arson in McLennan County Court on Tuesday.  The jury sentenced him to 65 years in jail on Wednesday.  Because of prior convictions, Webb faced up to life in prison.

Webb was initially arrested for giving alcohol to his 9-month-old child, and then arrested again days later after he attempted to burn down a relative's house while he was out on bond.

Webb is charged with one count of enhanced injury to a child and one count of arson.

A Waco police officer and a member of the fire marshals office took the stand. Officer Edward Williams told the jury he heard Webb say to his girlfriend on speaker phone, "If I can't  have, no one can."

The fire investigator told the jury there was an empty gas can near the house. But because conditions were too wet, the house did not catch on fire. Also, there was a gasoline odor in the air which prompted the 911 call in the first place. 

Webb was arrested back in March 2012 after police found out he was giving alcohol to his infant child. The baby's blood alcohol content was more than 3 times the adult legal limit.

After bonding out of jail, he then went to a family member's home in the 2200 block of Cumberland around 11:45 p.m. to try and burn the house down.

Webb is believed to have slashed several car tires at the residence.

Webb was found hiding at his mother's house in the 1800 block of Pine by police. Police and a K-9 unit were used to track him down.

Police say Webb gave the baby alcohol on Dec. 8, 2011.  The 8-month-old was flown to Scott and White in Temple, where the baby's Blood Alcohol Content registered at 0.29 - more than 3.5 times the adult legal limit.  The baby received treatment in the pediatric intensive care unit.

A bottle of vodka was found on a table near the area where the baby had been, but police are still unsure how the baby consumed the alcohol.


Powered by Frankly