Woman recalls being surrounded by police when West man arrested - KXXV Central Texas News Now

Woman recalls being surrounded by police when West man arrested


A West woman recalls the tense moments when she was with the man arrested for an explosive device.

31 year old Bryce Reed was charged in federal court Friday with possession of an explosive device. He is a paramedic and responded to the West explosion on April 17. Reed also spoke at the West memorial in regards to Cyrus Reed, one of the first responders killed in the explosion. Residents say Bryce and Cyrus are not blood related, but Bryce referred to them as brothers.

Bryce Reed had been staying at the Best Western hotel in West. He befriended Heather Gibbs around five days before his arrest. They became fast friends, and when Reed was arrested, they were together outside a restaurant.

Gibbs says Reed had been nervous the days prior saying the ATF was investigating him. So cautiously, he asked Gibbs to meet up with him Thursday night shortly after 7:30.

"He just walked by me and said do you have a smart phone, I said yes, he said meet me at Bush's, which wasn't weird because we've hung out. So I met him at Bush's. Well, that didn't go well," Gibbs said.

Gibbs says 10 to 15 officers surrounded them, not pulling out guns but putting hands on them. She says it was a tense situation.

"It was very scary, there were a lot of them and they were very aggressive which I know is part of their job and questions were flying constantly," Gibbs said.

Gibbs says the officers asked her multiple questions including why she was with the man accused of holding a bomb. She says they kept her there for an hour, but finally let her go.

Gibbs spoke highly of Reed saying most people in the hotel liked him. She says she was shocked to see him arrested and does not believe he's involved in the April 17 explosion.

"I don't think he's that caliber of a person, but I could be wrong," Gibbs said.

Gibbs wanted to emphasize she is not involved in any of the charges against Reed. She did say Reed told her earlier he did not do anything wrong and the ATF had nothing on him. 

Reed will make his next court appearance May 15.  

Powered by Frankly