Big 12 Baseball Notes
• Oklahoma checks in as high as No. 10 this week (Collegiate Baseball) and is ranked in the top 13 of all four national polls. OSU is at No. 27 on the NCBWA list and receiving votes in the USA Today Coaches' Poll. K-State is also receiving votes on the same list as well as from the NCBWA.
• Despite a series loss to Baylor over the weekend, Oklahoma maintains its lead atop the conference standings with an 8-4 mark. The Sooners take a break from Big 12 play this weekend, hosting New Orleans.
• Second-place K-State will travel to Oklahoma State. K-State tops the Big 12 in offense while Oklahoma State is second-best. Third-place Baylor will face TCU. The two teams set an NCAA record in a midweek, non-conference game in 2012, as a combined 13 batters were hit.
• The other two conference series on tap are: Kansas at Texas Tech and West Virginia at Texas.
• The Bears enter the week having won eight of their last 10 games. BU is the only league team who has not lost a Big 12 series. Big 12 Player of the Week Cal Towey contributed strongly to both Baylor wins over OU last weekend. The senior hit a walk-off home run in Friday's victory and capped an eight-run rally for the Bears with a grand slam in the eighth inning on Sunday for a 12-10 win.
• The Jayhawks won their first series over Texas in four years last weekend and, at 22-13 and 7-5 in Big 12 play, they have matched their regular season win total from a year ago as well as their win total in the conference.
• K-State is one win away from equaling last year's win total. The Wildcats are first in the nation in batting average with a .333 mark. Four K-State batters rank in the top 10 in the league while six have had hitting streaks of 10 games of more this season.
• Along with Towey, Oklahoma's Dillon Overton and Kansas' Jordan Piché earned Big 12 weekly honors on Monday. It marked the second weekly awards this season for all three players. Piché, a junior transfer, leads the league with a 0.49 ERA over 36.2 innings of work.
• Jonathan Gray (Oklahoma), Vince Wheeland (Oklahoma State) and Trey Masek are among 39 hurlers who have been named to the initial watch list for the 2013 Pitcher of the Year Award.
News Channel 25 KXXV-TV
Can't find something?