Temple family protests; Officer cleared in shooting - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Temple family protests; Officer cleared in shooting


With signs, candles, and a family wanting answers, dozens of Temple residents protested on behalf of a man who died in an officer- involved shooting.

 20-year-old Terry Cox was shot and killed in December of 2011 after a routine traffic stop went horribly wrong.

Officer Gary Smith pulled Cox over for an expired tag. Temple police say Cox drove off with Officer Smith's arm stuck in the door. Smith fired shots into his black SUV before it crashed.

Cox suffered a gunshot wound in the head and died a week later, leaving a daughter, wife, siblings and a broken hearted mother behind.

"That was my best friend, and I could talk to him about anything," said Cox's brother, Jeremy Oaties. "I don't have anyone to talk to now."

Cox's mother was shaken when she got a call that her son was fighting for his life in the hospital. She says Officer Smith threatened her son's life, which is why he sped away.

"They said they were going to murder him," Oaties cried. "When he went up to the car they were calling him all sorts of "N" words and told him he would never amount to anything."

Officer Smith was put on paid administrative leave while Texas Rangers investigated. A Grand Jury looked at dash cam video of the incident but no-billed the officer, deciding there wasn't enough evidence for an indictment.

Now the Royal Society of Civil Rights, a non-profit group from Austin, is helping the family press charges.

"The public needs to understand that this is different than what they are actually seeing or reading in the papers and on the news," said President of the organization, Dr. Johnson.

With a team of lawyers the family wants to pursue criminal and civil charges against police.

"We are not going to settle for this we are going to stand up and fight it back no matter what it takes," said Jeremy Oaties.

Temple Police officers stress the Texas Rangers conducted a thorough investigation. Even though the officer was cleared by a Grand Jury, the Cox's family says there are still some unanswered questions.  

News Channel 25 is working to get a copy of the dash cam video that was taken that night.

Powered by WorldNow

News Channel 25 KXXV-TV
P.O. Box 2522
Waco, TX 76702

Phone Numbers:
Main: 254-754-2525
Tip Line: 254-757-2525

Contact Us
KXXV Employment Opportunites
FCC Filings
Advertise on KXXV

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KXXV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.