Two weekend fires started by cooking negligence - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |


Two weekend fires started by cooking negligence


Two separate weekend fires in Temple were determined to have been started by unattended cooking. The first fire began late Saturday night, and the second happened roughly two hours after the first.

The first fire occurred a little after 11 p.m. when firefighters found smoke and heat overtaking a residence at 1400 Block of Paseo Del Oro. Fire crews also found a male in his late 40s on the back patio, and transported him to Scott & White Hospital where he arrived in critical condition. 

Neighbors told firefighters they heard the smoke alarm inside for over 30 minutes, but could not get any one to come to the door.  After an investigation it was determined that cooking was left unattended on the stove. 

Two hours later firefighters reported heavy smoke in the front of a house at 2200 East Avenue.  Fire crews were able to find the source of the fire and extinguished it. Also didn't find anyone in the residence because all seven residents had already escaped the fire. 

A fire investigation determined the fire was unintentional and started from cooking that was unattended.  The homeowner said he was cooking on the stove, but left the kitchen and fell asleep. There were no smoke alarms inside the residence because the homeowner had taken down the alarms to replace batteries.

The kitchen and attic area received heavy fire damage, and the rest of the three bedroom house received heavy smoke damage. Estimated damage to the home is over $60,000. 

Powered by WorldNow

News Channel 25 KXXV-TV
P.O. Box 2522
Waco, TX 76702

Phone Numbers:
Main: 254-754-2525
Tip Line: 254-757-2525

Contact Us
KXXV Employment Opportunites
FCC Filings
Advertise on KXXV

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KXXV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.